Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cold Heart Chapter 1

                I read somewhere that the people who design theme parks deliberately make them a little bit confusing so they seem larger than they are. As I wandered through the overly air conditioned maze of off white corridors, I idly wondered whether the guy who’d designed this building had been thinking along those lines, or if he had just been drunk. D100, D102, D157… Where in the heck was D105? The way things had gone thus far today, I wouldn’t have been surprised if the room turned out to be in a completely different building.
                You’d think that after a full month in Hymiath College, I’d be able to find my way around campus, or at least successfully locate my classes. But no, I still got lost, especially when the professor who taught my math class suddenly decided to move the lecture to an entirely different section of this rat warren.
                I sighed, and, at the latest intersection, chose a random direction. If it had been any other class, I would have given up by now, but I liked math, and I liked Professor Nickleson, who taught it. He was confusing at times, but you could tell he honestly loved his subject, and enjoyed teaching it. It annoyed me that I was going to be late.
At least the building was mostly empty in the evening. Wandering around lost in front of other people would be downright humiliating. I shivered. Who had set the thermostat in this place, a penguin? In the winter, cold would be understandable, if annoying, but it still just barely fall.
Suddenly one of my feet connected with something slippery. I wind milled my arms, trying to keep my balance, before toppling backwards onto my butt. “Ouch!” I yelped. That was going to leave a few bruises. Nothing broken though, so I supposed I couldn’t complain.          
Whatever had caused my fall was directly underneath me. I stood, careful not to step on it again, and turned around to get a better look. It was ice. There was actually a patch of ice on one tile. I shook my head. It was cold in here, but not that cold.
Except, now that I thought about it, this hall was just a bit chillier than the rest of the building. Odd. And the cold almost seemed to be emanating from further along it, as if something in the building was slowly sucking all the warmth out of the air. An air conditioning malfunction, maybe?
I continued down the hallway. Soon I could see my breath as a white mist in the air. Frost rimmed the edges of the windows in the office doors, then, further down the hall, completely obscured them. Another patch of ice had formed underneath a leaking water fountain. A chill traveled down my spine that had nothing to do with the strange temperature. No air conditioner, malfunctioning or not, could have caused this. Something very strange was going on.
Or maybe there was nothing odd. Maybe someone had just left an industrial sized freezer open somewhere. But what was a freezer doing here? From the look of things, this section of hallway was mostly offices, so unless some professor was really fond of ice cream…
I pulled my jacket tighter around me, stuck my hands in my armpits, and started toward what seemed to be the source of the chill. Curiosity itched inside me. What could be causing this? There had to be some sort of logical explanation.
The door at the center of this strange chill looked more or less ordinary. It was made of pale wood, with a window at about head height. Blinds obscured the portions of the window that weren’t coated with frost. The nameplate beside it was unreadable through the almost fuzzy white covering, but the card hung beneath it proclaimed that the professor was in, and students were welcome, so I supposed it wouldn’t be too rude if I peeked inside.
The frozen doorknob burned into my hand. I jerked it back, muttering a curse word, and cradled it against my body. The icy metal had left an imprint in my palm, like a branding iron in butter. “Stupid, stupid, stupid!” I hissed.
I tucked my other hand into the sleeve of my shirt, and then pulled the sleeve of my jacket down over it so my hand was protected by two layers of fabric. Carefully I gripped the doorknob again.
I could still feel the chill through the cloth. The doorknob turned, but it turned slowly, and it made a crackling noise, like the mechanism inside was frozen. The door squeaked open reluctantly. Any lubrication on the hinges had probably frozen into slimy ice.
“Professor Nickleson!” I exclaimed. Whatever I had expected to see, this wasn’t it. The professor was seated at his desk, with his back to me, facing the window like he was gazing out at the campus.  Except there was no way he could see anything. The window was covered in frost. He wasn’t even wearing a jacket. I wondered how he could stand the frozen air. I mean, it was so cold that the cup of coffee on his desk had frozen over. Even his glasses, resting up on the top of his bald spot, were coated in white.
He hadn’t turned around, or anything, which was odd, because there was no way he hadn’t heard me. “Professor? Are you all right?” I asked. Still no response. Maybe he had fallen asleep, or something. I reached out to touch his shoulder.
Slowly, ever so slowly, he tipped forward. His head cracked against the edge of the desk, and then he fell to the floor, shattering like one of my mother’s little porcelain dolls. A hand here, a leg there, a bit of his chest off to the side…
I could see now that his skin had a nasty blue tinge to it. And I could see his face. His lips were purple and swollen, and his tongue was protruding, just a little, with a few ice crystals whitening the tip. His light brown eyes stared up at me, wide with fear. There was a bit of red in the whites where crystallizing blood had burst through capillaries.
There was a hand. On my foot. I could see his wedding ring through the frost.
That’s about when I started to scream.

“So that’s what happened?” the detective asked me. He’d told me his name at some point, but I couldn’t remember what it was. I nodded, and pulled the blanket tighter around myself, shivering. We were outside the building now, in a parking lot. I couldn’t really remember how I’d gotten there. Everything between the hand on my foot and being examined by the paramedics was a little fuzzy.
There were a few cop cars and an ambulance parked nearby. The cop cars had their lights flashing, and the one that was just arriving had its siren blaring, but the ambulance was dark and silent. The paramedics were the ones who’d given me the blanket, after examining me and before handing me over to the detective so I could tell him what happened.
“You okay, kid?” he asked.
I nodded.
“There’s a counseling center on campus, right? You should go there, tomorrow, as soon as it’s open. Talk to someone. It’ll make you feel better,” the detective told me.
“I’m fine,” I protested.
“Of course you are. Could you go anyways? Just in case you’re not fine later? It’ll give me some peace of mind.”
Before I could answer, one of the cops, a black haired woman who I thought was the coroner, called his name. “Detective Jackson!”
He patted me on the shoulder. “I’ll be right back, kid. Don’t go anywhere.”
As he jogged over to join her, I glanced around the parking lot. There were lots of police officers milling around the parking lot, doing all the various things the police did after a murder. One near me was talking to the custodian who’d called 911 after hearing me scream. The custodian looked as shaken as I felt. Apparently it’d been quite a scream. Pretty much everyone in the building had heard it. As far as I could tell from the various conversations around me,  that was the only thing anyone had heard. No one had seen anything odd, either, aside from the frost and ice, and, of course, the dead body.
The dead body.  Professor Nickleson’s body. I’d been told that there was no way he was alive when I’d broken him, that the human body couldn’t survive being frozen like that. I knew that already, of course. I remembered reading somewhere that, when cells are frozen, they either burst as the liquid inside them freezes, or they are crushed by the ice forming outside of them, so of course the freezing killed him. Of course it did. I didn’t have anything to do with his death. And yet…
I couldn’t stop that awful moment from playing again and again inside my head. He was normal, he was fine, and then I touched him, and he was in pieces on the floor. I shuddered.
Detective Jackson patted me on the shoulder again. I jumped, startled. I hadn’t seen him come back.
“I think we’re done,” he told me. “Unless, of course, you have anything else you’d like to tell me?”
I shook my head.
“Alright,” he said, handing me a piece of paper. “Here’s my number, in case you think of anything else. That’s my official cell. I’ve always got it with my when I’m on duty. Do you have a way to get home?”
I nodded. “I live on campus.”
“Good,” he said, then smiled reassuringly and added, “Don’t worry. We’ll catch whoever did this to your teacher. Now, you go home and get some sleep, alright?”

No comments:

Post a Comment